Friday, February 10, 2017

A Clutch of Eggs

I found a clutch of eggs yesterday evening.  The chickens hadn't been laying much over the past month or so, so eggs have had to be somewhat rationed, used sparingly.  I need more ducks, they kept laying. :)  Anyway, the chickens are free ranging during the day, so finding eggs is like an Easter Egg hunt everyday.  Even we grown-ups get really excited when we find one!

Just before I found the clutch, we had about a dozen and a half eggs on hand.  The half dozen or so  had been aged a bit to be boiled for quick snacks and salads (they peel easier if they have aged a bit before boiling), so this left only a dozen eggs for the two of us to eat on.  They are starting to lay again, but we have been getting only one here and there.  The eggs are becoming my main protein because I haven't been to a grocery store in over a month, and T L Ogre eats bunches of them, so we use a lot when we have them.

I told T L Ogre about the baker's dozen eggs I had found and showed them to him (he asked where I found them). He went and looked at them and instantly exclaimed, bright eyed and excited, "Good! My sister is really needing some eggs! She will be glad to get some." I must have made a disapproving face, because he stopped, mouth dropped, then stuttered and stammered, "Well, I know we need some, too.  It is always good to have a few on hand . . . . " I just said, "Uh, yeah." and walked away.

I don't mind sharing with his sister, when we have it to spare, but his obsession with making sure she has everything first, and the best, has gotten beyond old!  I tried to be patient with it all at first, she is handicapped, but his desire to fall all over her, to make sure all of her needs are completely met before anyone else's, even though there are other people living in her house (one a young male adult), has gone far beyond 'normal'. I can now see why other 'wives' were bothered by his time and attentions with her, and why snide remarks about their 'relationship', are often made. It gets to be very strange, on his end.  From my end, she appears to be the only woman he really and truly cares about (setting aside his daughter, of course).

Right now, as I write this post, I am thoroughly enjoying my 3-egg mushroom and cheese omelet that I cooked from the eggs I found, laid by my chickens, cooked on top of that old kerosene hater.  Mmmmmmm, so good!

Thanks for stopping in and have a great day!

Signed - Betty Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...